THE HOUSE OF TREES
Sustainable and conscious luxury is the ethos of Lchang Nang Retreat- The House of Trees. We believe that nature has a lot to offer and we would like to express our gratitude by co-existing respecting the environment and the local community.
A few of our initiatives:
– We are proud to be one of the largest solar powered properties in Ladakh.
– We channelize the melting glacier water to irrigate our lands
– Our drinking water is fresh mineral rich glacial water which is good in PH value.
– We have our own farms and cattle and most of the produce used in our kitchens comes from our own farms.
– We have our own inhouse range of products which are made by locals from locally found ingredients thus encouraging local economy and talent.
– Our cottages are made using traditional local material and techniques which make them a practical and sustainable work of architecture.
At Lchang Nang, we strive to bring together local culture in a green and sustainable manner.
ONE WITH OUR
A list of what we do to minimize our impact on the environment:
- Solar panels and battery bank that generate 95% of our energy.
- Construction basis solar passive architecture. 15 acres of grazing land.
- LED lighting for cottages.
- Minimal use of plastic. No plastic containers for our organic soaps, shampoo and moisturizers.
- Solar geysers for hot water.
- Mud, willow, stone, and poplar used as the primary building materials.
- Use of solar lamps for landscape lighting where needed.
- Flood irrigation system to water all 20 acres of our property.
- Garbage segregation and recycling of almost all waste.
- Buying local and growing our own vegetables and herbs organically.
- Local Culture Integration, indigenous craftsmanship and rehabilitation of lost traditions: Our resort is constructed by traditional local techniques and materials & we support local artisans by promoting their paintings and organising exhibitions.
- Local cuisine: We provide local culinary experiences through our menu & curated activities.
- Local Community: We ensure employment priority to locals, support local agriculture by procuring fresh produce from the local farmer
- Gender equality & diversity: We promote gender equality and diversity through initiatives like engagement of local women alliance in our key experiences and equal work opportunities.